POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jun 2008 18:31:09
Message: <4848692d@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> I mean real in the sense that they "stay put",

According to the math, they don't "stay put". Virtual particles are
created when a "real" particle vanishes. Then the virtual particles bump
into each other again and turn back into the "real" particle.

> But, just speculating. After all, the point, if you have one experiment
> that doesn't make sense, and you can't resolve the difference, is to try
> to unify the results, and that "may" mean reconsidering your assumptions
> about what particles "appear" to do normally, rather than presuming that
> you have just found some odd special case.

Sure. Or do more experiments to figure it out.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"